Monday, July 02, 2012

Daniel is Two picturefest!

So, even though it hasn't been over a month since the event yet, I thought I'd post about Daniel's second birthday. :)

I can't believe our baby's two.  Even with another baby on the way, I still think of Daniel as "the Baby."  I catch myself calling him that all the time.  I'm trying to train myself out of it, so that Daniel doesn't get confused.  However, whenever I ask Daniel where the baby is, he always pats my belly, so maybe I needn't worry.  I always go through premature anxiety when the baby is about to be displaced by a newcomer.  Although there are so many siblings now that I really needn't worry that anyone will go neglected or feel left out. :)

Anyway, here's our new big boy!

doesn't he look all growed up?  sigh...
The day started off right, as far as Daniel was concerned. I took the kids to Mass -- a birthday tradition that I'm trying to get started. (There's no tradition like a new tradition! ...sorry, MST3K joke there) After Mass we bought donuts and a helium balloon for Daniel, and idea for a toddler birthday that I got from another mom. He was very happy. Donuts are his favorite thing in the WHOLE world.  Then we just had fun the rest of the day, declaring it a family holiday.  (i.e. no school, hooray!)

since we were having his party the next day, I didn't do a special dessert for his birthday dinner -- he got birthday ice cream which was just fine by him

got that whole candle-blowing thing down!

mm-mmm -- good to the last drop!

I like buhdays!

the morning of his party he got an extra-special pancake -- I think he wolfed it down in less than a minute
gotta get this boy a bigger chair!

We had a great time at his party!  We invited a couple families, which means in our circle of friends that our house was full of kids everywhere. :)  It was awesome.

opening a Lightning McQueen car -- definitely the hit toy of the party! (you can tell what's the hit toy b/c that's the one all the kids fight over)
 Daniel loved all his presents -- they were all something a 2-year-old boy would love, even the clothes:

Batman jammies!  with a cape!


even Joseph picked out something Daniel would love -- a mini flashlight of his very own!

I have the power!

So, now Daniel is very two!  He throws the occasional tantrum when the planets don't align according to his wishes, but all in all he is very easy-going, compliant, and oh so affectionate.  He's developed a special relationship with my upper arm -- he is always coming over and giving me mini-hugs. :)  It's very cute, before the bruising sets in.

His language is also developing by leaps and bounds.  I haven't noticed if he's at the new-word-a-day stage yet, but he is definitely trying out lots of new words.  And the words that he can already say he is now perfecting, particularly adding final consonants.  For example, he can now say "bonk" instead of "buh."  His "hello!" is also very clear -- I'm fairly impressed that he's already mastered the "l" sound -- that's a tricky one.  We still have lots of frustrating moments of miscommunication, such as when he's trying SO HARD to tell me something Very Important about how one of his siblings wronged him, and I just Don't Understand and so he collapses on the floor into a puddle of angst.  Once again I wish I had learned more Baby Signs to teach him.  Oh well, next kid!

Daniel is such a gift to our family.  We're so blessed and grateful to have him!

we love you, Chunkles!

1 comment:

  1. What a big boy he is now! Wish we could have been there. Thanks for posting these great pictures.

    ReplyDelete