Sunday, February 06, 2011

Poetry Corner

One of the things we try to do for school is memorization -- scripture verses, poetry, catechism.  I don't know why many classrooms have given this up -- kids are so good at it!  (At our homeschool group's recent talent show, one young member recited the whole book of Madeline: "In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines...")  And they love to do it.  I remember the sense of accomplishment when I memorized poems in first grade -- that sense of owning something and making it a part of you.  This goes for piano pieces too.  I don't feel like I really KNOW a piece until I have memorized it.

Anyway, we're not always faithful to this as we could be (that goes for almost all of our school work), but thankfully Katie's CCD class, Miriam's spelling book, and our homeschool co-op all require memorization, so I have the external enforcement I need for incentive.  I also try to help the girls pick a poem that they want to learn by heart.  Here is Miriam's latest:


I hope to post more like this in the future -- Katie has a couple that are fun, if she's outgrown her camera shyness.

3 comments:

  1. Cool, Miriam! Its nice to find SOMETHING good about February...haha! Edy's class just had a "Poetry Party", and all the parents who wanted to go had to read a poem, too!

    ReplyDelete