Finally uploaded all our most recent pictures from the camera. Since almost a month has passed since Christmas, I figured it's about time to start thinking about a Christmas post, according to the current posting schedule. :) Until then, enjoy the last of the photos from our big Snowstorm '09.

This was Sunday morning, a couple hours after the snow finally stopped coming down. The sunrise was gorgeous.

Our street. Some neighbors didn't even bother trying to clear their sidewalks. A few days afterwards, as the snow had an opportunity to melt and re-freeze several times, there were a number of ice mountains that you had to climb over to walk down the sidewalk. Late Sunday night I heard one neighbor with a snowblower -- I wish he'd done the whole sidewalk!

Real Live Icicles! They kept leaning farther in towards the house, as the snow on the roof slumped lower. All day we had snow falling off the roof. I was reminded of signs I saw nailed on boards leaning against the walls in Austria in winter, warning people with lots of Achtungs! not to stand right next to the walls, lest they get buried in an avalanche of snow!

This snow stayed for a looooong time -- we don't get any sun in our back yard in winter time. Look at that grill! You wouldn't know I had cleared it off the day before. Other things you can't see, besides the pool, are Katie's tricycle and Joseph's scooter. (Our pool is now filled with a solid block of ice -- great for ice skating, the girls think!) :)

Mr. Pickles valiantly digging the noble Pickles chariot out. Luckily we had the extra parking spot which we could use for extra snow. The neighbors across the street had to use a laundry basket to haul their extra snow to the corner. It took them HOURS. That was actually the funnest thing about all this -- everyone was outside together, talking, commiserating, loaning shovels (ours got a lot of extra work!). One family that looks like they're from some Middle Eastern country was holding up a webcam at their door, presumably to show relatives all the snow. The wife seemed just as delighted as our kids -- I didn't ask her if this was her first snow, but I wouldn't have been surprised if it were.
Our front yard was about 2 ft. higher than usual for DAYS afterward. Katie spent lots of time scaling Mt. Everest. Even thought the majority of the snow is gone, there are still random piles of what is now ice scattered throughout the neighborhood. The girls still put on their snowboots to go for walks, which always turn into climbs.
We all keep hoping for more snow this winter, although we know there won't be nearly as much as this. But even an inch or two is better than having to look at dead grass for 2 more months!
No comments:
Post a Comment