Saturday, October 17, 2009

School Days

School is going very well. Much better than this time last year! Let's hear it for no-brainer pre-packaged curriculum! I also schedule lots of breaks into the year, so even if (who am I kidding? WHEN) we get behind, we'll have plenty of opportunities to play catch-up.

Miriam is reading very well now, which is great, because it means she can READ DIRECTIONS and WORK INDEPENDENTLY! Yay for workbooks! I can let her do math, spelling, grammar, handwriting, and some geography and science independently. I think she actually actually enjoys the responsibility of doing her work herself. Now I need to stock our home library with good children's literature -- she's already devoured everything I had!

Katie also loves to "do school." She's busily learning her letters -- writing and sounds. I'm hoping to have her reading by Christmas, at least simple words, but I know I have to wait for that magic click in her brain. So far, she gets it. She already knows most of her letter sounds, we're just going through the alphabet systematically to make sure everything's covered. Her drawing has also really improved -- sometimes it's hard to tell who drew which picture of a princess. :)

Joseph even has school time -- by which I mean I lay out a blanket and put out his basket of toys that are only for school time, like stacking cups and stringing beads and puzzles and things. If he gets interested in something, he's actually good for about 20 mins., which is enough to listen to Miriam read, or do phonics with Katie. Whenever the girls are doing their handwriting though he HAS to sit at the table with them and scribble too!

We go to the library about every other week -- ideally I'd like to go each week but it hasn't always been practical. We get the bulk of our science and history books there, plus lots of good literature and early reader books. Science started this year with learning about reptiles. I found a great craft book and we made models of the three types of reptiles:

Of course, Katie's turtle is a girl. With orange eyelashes.


Next is the human body. I currently have a chicken bone soaking in a jar of vinegar to leach out the calcium. For a field trip we went to see a display of illustrations from David Macaulay's new book, The Way We Work.

For history we're studying Medieval times and the Renaissance. We just finished a great children's adaptation of the Canterbury Tales (heavily, heavily edited!). We also read Beowulf, and a story of Sir Gawain. I need to find a good version of stories about King Arthur. Any suggestions?

Last week our homeschool group went on a field trip to Emmitsburg, MD, the burial place of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. What a lovely shrine.




We broke for lunch at the seminary a few miles down the road. These are our pastor's stomping grounds, so he felt right at home. :)

After lunch we went up to the Lourdes Grotto, an old, prayerful place where St. Elizabeth Ann and her sisters used to like to come and pray. (before the Lourdes apparitions, of course!)


Despite the cold and the gray and the traffic heading back, it was a lovely day spent with our homeschool group. We're so blessed to be a part of it!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. I was dying to know what you do with Joseph when you're trying to teach. This is my number one problem this year. I'll have tons of questions for you next week!

    ReplyDelete