The above verse from the Psalms was on the candle that was passed around during my household's Lord's Day at college, when we would each take a moment to offer to God our worries of the week. When the candle was finally lit, it was a sign of our troubles being burned away, a good reminder that they all are taken up into God's hands -- that He ultimately is the one in charge. He is the eternal, omnipotent one who knows what He is about. As I get older and worry about more and more things, it's good to remember this verse and be reminded of my own smallness, that there is so little I can do to influence the great movements in the world at large. The best I can do -- in fact, the only thing I am called to do -- is influence my own little circle of family and friends around me for the better. To be a light and a blessing to others I meet every day, especially my own family (although I feel like I've been failing in this one dreadfully, lately).
I feel this calling even more strongly today. It's as though I heard a call to arms. Because I expect some form of mild persecution, perhaps not of myself personally, but certainly of our Church, to come upon us soon, I feel my energies being directed inward. To be a good Christian, ready to follow my Captain ultimately to the Cross; to spread the Gospel as best I can within my own circle of influence (especially to my children); to share hope and joy with others I meet -- these are my marching orders. I expect life to become more difficult in various ways externally -- we will have less money, many things will be more costly, I will have to learn to economize more strictly. But I hope the hardships to come will help us focus on what's more important -- the salvation of our souls and those of our children. I think the calling of the Christian as a soldier in a real battle for souls will become more apparent. At least, I hope so -- I hope the next few years will wake people up and shake us out of our complacency. There's nothing like a little suffering to bring a nation to its knees (or at least its senses).
One has only to study the history of Christianity to see how God brings great good out of a big mess. Counter-Reformation, anyone? I'm fairly confident He has a pretty good plan for our country right now. Job said it fairly well, "I know You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be hindered." In the short-term it looks bleak, but I'm extremely hopeful for the not-too-distant future. There are future saints being raised in good families right now, who will be the firebrands that enkindle the rest of us deadwood. :) Meanwhile, as long as I'm doing what I know the Lord wants me to do, am I supposed to stress about what's going on in places where I have no influence or say? Can I add one day to my life by worrying about it?
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff comfort me."
(art credit: "The Good Shepherd" by Bernhard Plockhorst courtesy of art.com)
P.S. Our esteemed colleagues have begun the Total Consecration to Mary today, to finish on December 8, the feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, who is our country's patron under that title. I welcome anyone else interested to join us!
You know the bible verse you have at the end of your post? Did you notice that was the same verse that was used in the responsorial psalm the Sunday before your pos?
ReplyDeleteSomehow, I don't think it's a coincidence that we all heard that particular responsorial psalm that Sunday.
-Tine
Good point.
ReplyDelete