Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Listen to Bill!

For once I agree with Clinton.
------------
Also from WSJ's Best of the Web

"Snivel Discourse"

Bill Clinton was campaigning in Philadelphia the other day, and he had this to say: "If one candidate is trying to scare you and the other is trying to get you to think, if one candidate is appealing to your fears and the other one is appealing to your hopes, you better vote for the one who wants you to think and hope."

It's hard to argue with that. So, who is the candidate of hope, and who is the candidate of fear? For an answer, we turn to Slate, the online magazine, which asked each of its staff and contributors to make the case for Kerry (an intern provides the pro-Bush counterpoint). Reading their endorsements, a clear theme emerges:

Paul Berman: "The prospect of tumbling down the stairs for four more years has got me scared out of my wits. Better Kerry, then."

Kris Fritz: "If Bush gets re-elected, I might have to change citizenship and move to another country."

Mickey Kaus: "I think Bush is prosecuting the fight against terrorism in a way that will make us dramatically less safe. . . . Let the world calm down so that fewer people hate us."

Laura Kipnis: "The rest of the world sees Bush for exactly who he is, which unfortunately ups the danger level for all of us."

Josh Levin: "If Kerry gets elected, the world will be just a bit less dangerous, and I'm all for baby steps away from mutual assured destruction."

Jill Hunter Pellettieri: "I fear what another four years of Bush's myopic worldview would bring to our country and the world."

Laurie Snyder: "Another four years with Bush-Cheney at the helm is a terrifying prospect."

Seth Stevenson: "The Bush administration frigging TERRIFIES me. . . . They literally make me fear for the fate of the world."

Louisa Herron Thomas: "I wish I didn't fear for the safety and health of myself, my country, and my planet. Under Bush, I do."

Julia Turner: "I think Bush is bad for the country and the world--and for me. He has put my lungs at risk. He has put my reproductive rights at risk. He has put my retirement at risk. He has put my friends at risk, by sending them to Iraq on false pretenses. He has put all of our lives at risk."

It seems clear, then, that when Clinton urged Americans to vote for the candidate of hope not fear, he was endorsing President Bush. But ostensibly he was campaigning for Kerry; this photo depicts Kerry as a teenager excited that he's standing next to a rock star. Oh well, Clinton always had a talent for making people on all sides think he agreed with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment